Over the years I have been giving advice to my Sellers on how to get their property sold quickly and at a good price. I decided to follow my own advice. Here is what I did starting about 2 months ago.
- Tried to grow grass in spotty areas
- Boosted a regular watering schedule of the lawn and gardens
- Visited with Nancy Spewak of Property Enhancement at my house to give me an hour of staging and decorating advice- $75/ hr
- Took all of the clothes I have not worn in the last year to the Goodwill
- Boosted my maid to come once a week to clean and do special projects like clean closets, cabinets, etc- last month and until the house was under contract- $70/week
- Bought extra bedding plants for the garden- $100
- Decluttered all closets
- Replaced windows in my sunroom/office- the old ones were crank windows and some had some rot – $1800
- I bought new duvet covers, accent pillows and sheets for two beds- $600-$700 (At least I get to take these with me!)
- Order and installed a new glass shower door in my master bath- $800
- Contracted with Absolute Tile and Stone to redo my kitchen with a travertine tile floor, granite counters and subway tile- $11,000
- Had Voss Painting come in to spray my cabinets off-white. They were an odd, peachy wood color before- $2000
- Repainted several rooms, the front door, exterior siding and interior woodwork. $1500
- Replaced the carpeting in my study- $800
- Had my carpet in the Lower Level cleaned- $65
- Stopped cooking smelly foods
- Cleaned the oven
- Removed family photos
- Professionally washed all of the windows- $175
- Had my yard professionally edged and mulched by Cut Pro $300
- For all showings: turned on music, lite a candle, turned on all lights, cut fresh flowers and mowed the lawn
Viola….it sold quickly. I keep thinking if I needed to do so much and spend all of the time and money. I guess I would rather be in the position I am now with a contract in place than wondering why my house has not sold….and making $10,000 price reductions.
The general rule is to spend about 2-5% of your sale price of your home on preparing it to go on the market.