Located in New Canaan, Connecticut on a 15-acre piece of wooded land that looks over the Noroton River, 432 Frogtown Road was first built for Joyce and John Rayward and has only been in the hands of two other owners. Also known as the “Rayward-Shepherd House” or “Tirranna,” Wright designed this spectacular home during the last years of his life while he was completing the Guggenheim Museum in New York City.
Only four years after the house had been built, the Raywards commissioned Wright’s firm to return and complete a massive extension that would be based on his original designs. So, William Wesley Peters and Taliesin Associated Architects ended up expanding the house after Wright’s death in 1959, which included a new bedroom wing, greenhouse, central garden, covered walkway, and a caretaker’s quarters. Jim Gricar of Houlihan Lawrence explains that even though these additions expanded the residence enormously all of the same materials and finishes were maintained from the first round, making it a seamless update. Continue reading “Frank Lloyd Wright’s Tirranna | 432 Frogtown Road”