The spread of coronavirus to the U.S. has many people feeling anxious and
distressed. This is very normal in times of crisis. You can manage these feelings by
taking some simple steps:
1. Limit media exposure. Today’s 24-hour social media and news cycle can make it difficult to turn
away, but research has shown that excess exposure to media coverage of stressful events can negatively impact mental health. Use trusted media outlets to gather the information you need, then turn them off.
2. Reduce your stress by being prepared. Prevent risk of illness by taking simple steps:
• Wash your hands.
• Cover your cough.
• Increase cleaning.
• Stay home if you’re sick.
• Eat healthy foods.
• Get regular exercise to boost your immune system.
4. Stay in touch with friends and loved ones and talk with them about your worries.
5. Keep looking for new hobbies and activities you can do safely at home or online.
6. Practice relaxation activities, i.e. deep breathing, massage, meditation, yoga and progressive muscle relaxation.