This mansion was built in the 1820s by Captain Lewis Bissell, who served in the War of 1812 and promoted to Captain in 1815. Riverboat pilots knew his land as Bissel’s point, and the mansion was built on a hill with a view that overlooked the Mississippi River. You can now see the mansion from Interstate 70, and attend a murder mystery dinner theater there.
De Hodiamont House
This house, built around 1830, is a private residence on Maple Place in the West End neighborhood near the city limits, and it was restored about 15 years ago. The Gothic Revival home has gingerbread-style detailing outside and two front parlors inside, as well as a secret room and a secret compartment, according to a Post-Dispatch story from 2002. The first owner, Baron John Lambert Emmanuel Armor Constant De Hodiamont, came from Belgium to St. Louis with a group of Trappist monks. But he left the monks, married twice, had four kids, and made money in farming and real estate.(photo from the City of St. Louis)
Henry Shaw’s city and country homes
Henry Shaw commissioned his friend, architect George Barnett, to design his country home and townhouse in 1849. The country home, known as Tower Grove House, where Shaw died in 1889, is now a centerpiece of the Missouri Botanical Garden and is open for tours.The townhouse was originally located at Seventh and Locust streets in downtown St. Louis, and it was dismantled and moved to the garden after Shaw’s death. It now houses offices.This photo, courtesy of the Missouri Botanical Garden, is of Tower Grove House around 1910.
See more of St. Louis’s oldest homes & buildings here