Prepared by Esley Hamilton.
Clayton Terrace, a subdivision in U. S. Survey 2675, with the northernmost strip in Section 13, Township 45 North, Range 5 East, was platted on May 18, 1923 (St. Louis County Plat Book 18, pages 24 and 25). The owner was McKelvey Construction Company, Inc., William H. Smith president. On July 1 of the same year, McKelvey sold nine of the 23 lots in the subdivision to George E. Felix (Record Book 945, page 234). Felix was a vice president of McKelvey Construction. He and his wife Edith sold Lot 10 on September 4 to Fred L. Suhre and his wife Lena M (Book 911, page 490). The deed specifies that Mr. & Mrs. Felix lived in ‘the City of Webster”, so there was probably no house here at that time The cost of the 2.47-acre lot is not given, but nearly a year later, on July 5, 1929, the Suhres borrowed $15,000 against the property, and presumably the present house was built at that time.
The 1930 county directory shows that the Suhres were living off Denny Road south of Conway Road, a typical listing for a rural location. By the 1940s, the house was listed at 10 Anderson Drive, Clayton Post Office. Originally the streets within the subdivision were named Anderson, Smithton and Alvey Drives, but in 1947 the City of Frontenac was incorporated, and about that time, the street names were dropped in favor of the subdivision name and lot numbers.
Lena M. Suher died March 11, 1940, at the age of 57. Her death certificate indicates that she was the daughter of Joseph Kauflin, a native of Switzerland. Fred was three years older, born September 30, 1880. He was the president and treasurer of the Ornamental Wire and Iron Company, located at 2621 University Street, west of St. Louis Place on the north side of St. Louis. The vice president and secretary of the company was William O. Suhre, Fred’s younger brother, born April 20, 1882. William was also a stockbroker associated with Newhard Cook & Co. William was married to Lilly Anheuser (1883-1975) daughter of Adolph Anheuser and granddaughter of Eberhard Anheuser (1806-1880), the co-founder of Anheuser-Busch. Lilly’s brother, also named Eberhard Anheuser (1880-1963) served as chairman of the board of A-B. William and Lilly never lived at this address. At the time of his death in 1949, they lived in the Pierre Chouteau apartments, 4400 Lindell. She later moved to another apartment at 4615 Lindell.
Fred L. Suhre apparently remarried after Lena’s death. He and Elizabeth G. Suhre sold this property in 1944 and moved to the Chase Hotel. When Fred died in 1958, he was living in the Missouri Athletic Club at 405 Washington. The buyers were Wilfred J. Boos and his wife Helen Frances Boos (Book 2028, page 270). Wilfred seems to have worked for a variety of companies. In 1949, he was vice president of Delbridge Calculating System, Inc., but at the time of his death in 1961, age 60, he was an executive with the Walk Easy Foot Rest Company.
Following St. Louis County directories, one can see that Mr. & Mrs. Boos sold the property between 1949 and 1953 to Monte E. and Dorothy E. Shomaker; he was a vice president of Brown Shoe. By 1955, though, the house was owned by real estate agent William R. Alberts and his wife Gena. About 1965 they sold to James H. Lowry Jr. and his wife Doris. James was an electrical engineer with McDonnell-Douglas. They sold in 1977 to Fuad and Françoise Markus, who remained the owners until 2017.
a listing by Ted Wight, Dielmann Sotheby’s International Realty, 314.607.5555