Historic St. Louis Homes

South Grand Historic Walking Tour

South Grand Detailed Histories

3110-s-grand_360-300x200
3008-12 S. Grand – The Park Building

Named the Park Building in honor of its famous neighbor across the street, Tower Grove Park, this building was designed by the prominent architectural firm of Mariner & LaBeaume, a firm responsible for many churches, institutional buildings and homes in St. Louis. Constructed by contractor Patrick O’Brien in 1910, the building has a classically-inspired white glazed terra cotta pediment above the central entrance, as well an arcaded ribbon of three round arched windows beneath white glazed terra cotta hood molds centered on the second floor.

3014-26 S. Grand
3014-26 S. Grand

Situated at the prominent intersection of the Grand and Arsenal electric streetcar lines, this building, erected by Pelligreen Construction in 1905, is one of the earlier commercial buildings constructed in the business district. The architect is unknown, but the building displays late-19th and early-20th century revival styles typical of buildings constructed in the time period. Dark brick contrasts with white terra cotta including ornamental panels depicting urns filled with flowering plants that perhaps reference the flora of the neighboring park. Indicative of the surrounding residential area’s growing demand for goods and services of all kinds, the building housed a wide variety of businesses, including barber and beauty shops, shoe retailers and repairmen, dress shops, taverns, and restaurants. Henry Hackman Hardware opened for business at 3014 just after the building’s construction.

3101-13 S. Grand - The Butler Building
3101-13 S. Grand – The Butler Building

The Butler Building was designed by the well known firm of Eames & Young, which also designed many buildings at Cupples Station, the Palace of Education at the 1904 World’s Fair, the Lincoln Trust [later Title Guarantee] Building and other prominent commissions. Completed in1909, construction of the building coincided with a peak time for residential development in surrounding neighborhoods. The Grand-Arsenal Theater opened here at 3101 S. Grand in shortly after the building was completed, providing residents of the new suburban district the opportunity to view “moving pictures.”

3115-19 S. Grand - The Dickmann Building
3115-19 S. Grand – The Dickmann Building

Constructed in 1926, the six-story Dickmann Building reflects a citywide trend toward higher density construction along major transit corridors during the boom years of the Roaring Twenties. Of course, within three years of the Dickmann’s completion, the stock market crashed and put an end to this optimistic period in St. Louis’ development, but the Dickmann and other large buildings nearby such as Tower Grove Manor (originally The Marmaduke Apartments) and the Saum Building (Saum Hotel) remain as reminders of a time when plans called for Grand to be rebuilt on a more monumental scale. Individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the building was designed by Wedemeyer & Nelson for Bernard Dickmann of the Dickmann Real Estate Company. Highlighting the rapid change and growth that had been occurring along Grand for the previous two decades, the Dickmann Building replaced an earlier commercial building that had been constructed just 22 years earlier at that location.

There are dozens more included in the tour, click here to view the rest on the South Grand Community Improvement website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.