The Belleville Historical Society will sponsor two events in
May to recognize the work of architect Charles King. King, a graduate of the University of
Illinois School of Architecture, practiced in Belleville from 1949 to 1961 and
preferred to design in a Mid-century Modern motif.
On Friday evening, May 3rd from 5:00–8:00, the
BHS will host a reception at the Governor French Academy Art Gallery to open a
retrospective exhibit of the Belleville architecture of King. The exhibit will remain at Governor French
for the entire month of May.
On Saturday, May 11th from 1:00-5:00, the BHS
will hold a house tour of the following seven Belleville residences designed by
-Mr. and Mrs. George Kloess Residence at 1015 McClintock
Avenue built in 1949 and currently owned by Scott and Carol Hathaway.
-William and Minette Farthing Residence at 8221 West Main
Street built in 1950 and currently owned by Betty Jones.
-Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Rogers Residence at 600 South Missouri
Avenue built in 1951 and currently owned by Robert and Robin Howard.
-Irma Hempel Residence at 17 Woodland Court built in 1951
and currently owned by Tom and Sandra Peters.
-Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Lippert Residence at 21 High Forest
Drive built in 1957 and currently owned by William and Beth Kamm.
-Frank and Dorothy Skinner Residence at 25 High Forest Drive
built in 1958 and currently owned by Andy and Kathy Bridgeman.
-Dr. and Mrs. Richard Osland Residence at 2 Kil-Mar Woods
built in 1962 and currently owned by Reed and Nancy Hannebaum.
Tickets, at a cost of $15 each for everyone 12 and older,
will be available at the May 3rd reception and can be purchased at
any of the houses on the tour on the day of the tour, May 11th. Payment can be in cash or check.
More information and a map locating the seven homes is
available on our website at www.bellevillehistoricalsociety.org. You may also call 618/531-7753 for additional